[html4all] Draft mission statement (was Re: HTML4all in public?)

Philip Taylor (Webmaster) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Sep 9 06:02:07 PDT 2007

Could we reconcile my hatred of management-speak with
Laura's undoubted sincerity in perceiving our aims
as a "mission", and -- at the same time -- make
it plain that we  believe that it is not only "our"
mission but should be the mission of /all/ members
of the HTML WG by re-casting it further, as follows :

>> "We, the undersigned, believe that -- given the de facto
>> position of HTML as the primary markup language for the
 >> World Wide Web -- it is our responsibility, and the
 >> responsibility of every member of the W3C HTML Working Group,
 >> to ensure that HTML evolves in such a way as to ensure that
>> the content of any page in which it is correctly used is potentially
>> accessible to all, regardless of the technology used to render the
>> page, the primary medium through which it is rendered, and the
>> physical and/or cognitive abilities of the person accessing the page."

Note that I've (/inter alia/, re-instated "ensure that HTML evolves"
in preference to "promote the evolution of HTML", since "ensure"
seems stronger to me than merely "promote".

** Phil.