[html4all] Figure ideas (was: Article by Catherine: Feedback on accessibility concerns in HTML5)

Leif Halvard Silli lhs at malform.no
Thu Sep 20 21:23:49 PDT 2007

On 2007-09-21 05:06:25 +0200 Robert Burns <rob at robburns.com> wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2007, at 9:49 PM, zara wrote:

> I don't really see how that solution using the figure element solves
> any of the issues surrounding img and longdesc. [...]

As I said to Catherine, it doesn't. At the same time, that is not 100%
true. See below.

> The figure element does raise the issue of embedded content that
> is illustrative of the prose already included in a document. When
> an image is included in a figure element with a caption, that
> relationship is explicit

And that is quite important. If the the automatic cross-reference
system of HTML 5 is used, then one can create links links to/from a
word/words in the caption text and to somewhere else in the document.
This could reduce the need for the @longdesc - I mean, not the need
for it in the spec, but the need to use the @longdesc.

Also - the caption text would become the natural place to place
D-links, if/when they are needed.
--
leif halvard silli