[html4all] WG Process

Charles McCathieNevile chaals at opera.com
Wed Feb 27 08:28:30 PST 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:02:39 +0100, Laura Carlson
<laura.lee.carlson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Chaals wrote:
(inter alia)
>> Ian's approach is basically that he thinks the browser makers are the
>> most critical part of the chain, because if they don't implement then
>> the spec is worthless anyway.
>
> This would relate to the "Priority of Constituencies" design principle.
> It says:
>
> "In case of conflict, consider users over authors over implementors
> over specifiers over theoretical purity..."
> [2]

Hmmm. Except that in the case mentioned, there is a request from authors,
no idea how it works or users (since nobody knows until someone implements
it), and so Ian is waiting to see if it gets sufficient love for someone
to put the broser code together.

Given that the spec really is a draft (and in some cases a very
speculative one at that) I don't think this is a bad appraoch - so long as
he follows working group decisions, my only complaint is the
"divide-and-rule" (as John called it) approach to feedback, which makes it
harder for anyone else to follow what the spec does.

> [2]
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html-design-principles/#priority-of-constituencies

cheers

Chaals