[html4all] html authoring guidelines

Charles McCathieNevile chaals at opera.com
Fri Nov 23 04:29:15 PST 2007

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:55:26 +0100, Jason White <jason at jasonjgw.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 10:31:56AM +0000, Steven Faulkner wrote:
>
>> Contributing to this and ensuring that accessible authoring practices
>> are included would be worthwhile.
>>
>> any thoughts?
>
> Yet another set of authoring guidelines?
>
> My preference would be for a single, unified set of authoring guidelines
> covering the following:
>
> 1. Internationalization.
>
> 2. Mobile devices.
>
> 3. Accessibility.
>
> 4. Other recommended practices.
>
> This should be a W3C note, or written outside the W3C context

I am pretty much 100% in agreement with Jason. I certainly don't think it
is very useful to try and make something like this a recommendation - I
think it is too complex to justify the effort of getting complete
agreement and structuring for conformance testing etc.

That said, it is useful. I would suggest, where possible, contributing
directly to the work in the HTML WG. Having lots of seperate groups
working in parallel is not really optimal in many ways - it makes the
discussion more or less impossible to follow, which in turn effectively
reduces the transparency of the process.

cheers

Chaals

--
http://my.opera.com/chaals              Try the Kestrel - Opera 9.5 alpha